Baking Powder Biscuits

Filed under , by Miranda on 3:10 PM

2

A friend of our family's recently gave Paul this recipe for homemade biscuits to pass along to me - thanks Jen! These things are so good! They are reminiscent of Bojangles and we had them with tomato gravy for dinner last night.

*For my family I double this recipe*

2 c. all purpose flour
3 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. shortening (I used butter)
3/4 to 1 c. milk

Heat oven to 450 (or 230 c). In large bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt and mix well. With pastry blender or fork cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stirring with a fork, add enough milk until mixture leaves sides of the bowl and forms a soft, moist dough.

On floured surface toss dough lightly until no longer sticky. Roll or press dough to 1/2 in thickness. Cut with floured cutter and place on ungreased cookie sheet. *You can also just make drop biscuits instead of rolling out the dough*.

Bake at 450 for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown.

Comments Posted (2)

Would be interested in the tomato gravy as I have never ever heard of such a thing....sounds interesting. I never had to make biscuits because either my sister, mom or friend would make them for me...I need to hone up my skills on biscuits as there is no one here to make them for me.
Also, have you tried freezing them before baking them. That would save some time later....just wondering how that would work.

Okay these were so easy and that's what I loved! If you click on the words "tomato gravy" in my post, it will take you to the recipe I got from my sis back home. We enjoyed it but Paul's not a huge tomato fan, I made bacon gravy last week and that was great with these... and no I've not tried to freeze them but they really are quick to make up. I am sure they'd freeze well OR you could try to freeze the dough, thaw that out and plop your biscuits on fast. Let me know if you make them. Miss you guys :)

Post a Comment